M10C Discussion Forum

Relations & Functions Update

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Relations & Functions Update
by Colin Veldkamp - Thursday, 19 April 2012, 2:12 PM

I've added a ZIP file into Semester 2 Updated Resources Book with all the updated files for the Relations & Functions Chapter.  I hope to be finishing Linear Equations & Graphs by the end of next week and should update that chapter shortly after that.

A highlight of this chapter is that I enjoyed the way I taught Function Notation this time.  I discussed that notation is just a way of writing something and then showed the students this slide and told them that I thought they were smart enough to figure out what is going on here and left them to it.  A few did catch on right away but more caught on after I highlighted the points and underlined the values as seen in the slide.  After this we reinforced the concept by doing a few questions graphically and then moved into algebraic solutions involving function notation.  The students enjoyed figuring it out on their own and many students helped those that were having a hard time seeing it.

Let me know what you think of this activity or if you have other suggestions of effective ways to teach function notation.