Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Permutations Type of Questions

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Permutations Type of Questions
by Candace Ketsa - Friday, 21 September 2012, 2:52 PM

I was looking at the type of questions we could ask in Permutations.  Do you think that the "at least" type of questions or three kids out of 6 must stand together when arranged is beyond the scope of the Math 30-2 students?

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Re: Permutations Type of Questions
by Candace Ketsa - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 4:22 PM

Any thoughts on this?  I am going into a Unit Exam next Monday and wondering if I should be covering this concept.

Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 4:35 PM

I am doing these types of questions.  For example:

You have 3 red cars and 3 blue cars that you want to arrange 4 of and order doesn't matter.  How many ways can you arrange these cars if you want at least 1 red car.

Also doing the ones where you're arranging letters.

How many ways are there to arrange the letters in the word ALBERTA if A and B must be together?

I think it's reasonable to ask it of them.  I have 1-2 questions of this type.  Also have a unit exam Monday.  

My students are having the most problems when determining when to use FCT and when to use Permutations/Combinations.  Any ideas how to help them improve other than just practice?

Picture of terri gach
by terri gach - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 4:43 PM

I have done 'at least'questions with combinations but not permutations.

This year, once I introduced combinations, I start my other lessons with a little 6-8 question classification. I give them the scenario and just ask if it is a permutation or combination. It still is tough though.

Picture of Ashley Hofer
by Ashley Hofer - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 4:58 PM

My students are having the same trouble distingushing between Perms and Combs. Would you be able to pass on that worksheet?

I used both of those types of questions, my unit exam was on last monday. - They did okay, but their confusion was on when to use what. Not how to use them.

Picture of Jacqueline Fern
by Jacqueline Fern - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 7:04 PM

James Tanton has a method for using FCT instead of Perms/Combs.  http://www.jamestanton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Pamphlet-on-Counting.pdf  Perhaps the students are having problems because they are so similar?