Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Progress in Math 30-2

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Progress in Math 30-2
by Candace Ketsa - Friday, 16 November 2012, 2:09 PM

I am just wondering where all of you in the course.  I am just finishing up Unit 5: Polynomials.  I am following the textbook this year so I have Units 6, 7, and 8 left. 

I am scared to teach Logs. LOL.  I am hoping to spend more time on this unit.  Thoughts?

Picture of Darlene Rumbolt
Re: Progress in Math 30-2
by Darlene Rumbolt - Saturday, 17 November 2012, 11:32 AM

LOGS actually went really well with my students - I was so impressed with them.  Don't be scared :)

Picture of Brian DeGiuseppe
by Brian DeGiuseppe - Sunday, 18 November 2012, 10:01 AM

I would agree actually. My kids did pretty good with both Exponents and Logs, much better than they did with Rationals. I'm fearfull of Perms & Combs myself; not looking forward to that at all.

Picture of Brandon Craig
by Brandon Craig - Sunday, 18 November 2012, 5:11 PM

It seems like everyone is approaching this differently.  I'm just wrapping up logs myself and all I have left are rationals and polynomials.  Logs weren't bad for me until the end.  My kids are weak with algebra and had trouble comparing two exponenets ie. 4x-1 = 34.  Up until that point everything was hunky dory

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Monday, 19 November 2012, 1:58 PM

Brandon, what happened at the end that caused the students issues?

Picture of Kyle Harvey
by Kyle Harvey - Monday, 19 November 2012, 7:37 AM

I am also just finishing Polynomial Functions and also did my project in that unit. I have exponential functions, logs, and sinusoidal functions remaining. I found my students struggled the most with perms and combs more than any other unit.

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Monday, 19 November 2012, 8:25 AM

Have you seen James Tanton's process for teaching Perms and Combs?  The way he does it, students don't actually need to know the difference between them.  The process works exactly the same for both.

You still have to supplement his work for teaching students to solve using the equations and teach them the difference in case the diploma asks them "Which of these is a perm?"

You can find his website at jamestanton.com where he has shared resources on quadratics, trig, perms & combs and other stuff I'm sure.  I converted (with permission) his perms and combs lessons into smartboard files.  I can't remember if this is the forum I ended up sharing them with or if it was the 30-1.  If you don't see it here but want it, let me know and I can get them!

Picture of Crystal  Lepp
by Crystal Lepp - Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:09 AM

Could you send them to me :). Clepp@redeemer.ab.ca Thank you so much! I am very interested in new methods. Crystal
Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:41 AM

I attached the file in my original reply/post but can send it to you through email as well.

Picture of Crystal  Lepp
by Crystal Lepp - Monday, 19 November 2012, 11:55 AM

I am sorry I should clarify.  I meant his perms and combs lesson in notebook files.

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Monday, 19 November 2012, 2:03 PM

Sandi you shared the website but not the notebook files.  If you are willing to share I am sure everyone would be more than appreciative.

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Monday, 19 November 2012, 3:20 PM

The first two files are pretty standard ways of introducing the Fundamental Counting Principle and Factorials.  If you're having trouble following the 3rd file (which uses his unique style for teaching it), please let me know and I can walk you through it.  It seriously makes solving P&C questions so easy!  Remember, however, that these files must be supplemented with activities for solving using the equations and "Is this a perm or comb?" questions.

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Monday, 19 November 2012, 1:57 PM

For those teachers that have taught Logs I am wondering if you would be willing to share with me your notes on Unit 7 Lesson 1, Unit 7 Lesson 2 and Unit 7 Lesson 3.  I have lessons 4 and 5 done, but would really appreciate any lessons on the first three.  I dont know why I am having such an issue with this. 

Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Monday, 19 November 2012, 8:23 AM

I am also just finishing up polynomial functions.  I found my students really struggled with perms and combs/probability.  Rationals was also tough, but I think that's because I tried to do it too quickly.  

I feel like I'm running out of time, though.  Only 5 weeks until Christmas...  Anyone else feeling the time crunch?

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Monday, 19 November 2012, 8:25 AM

I have a very simple activity for introducing the adding/subtracting laws to students.  They use patterns to discover the laws themselves.  It is a fairly short activity.  I'm still workign on creating more activities to go with this.

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Monday, 19 November 2012, 1:59 PM

Sandi thank you so much for sharing.  I will post this on the main site as well and I am definately using this.  I am loving the investigations.

Picture of Colette Krause
by Colette Krause - Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:18 AM

I'm just starting Polynomials and I'm following textbook order.  I feel really behind.  Knowing you are done Polynomials confirms how behind I am.  My students have struggled with perms and combs and rational expressions. I ended up using extra time in both of those units and I don't think it really helped.  I'm hoping Polynomials restores some of their confidence.  Logs are scaring me too.

Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:56 AM

I think the major issue that I'm having is the weak algebra skills of my students.  I know a few of mine did poorly in 20-1 last year and were hoping that 30-2 would be a peice of cake, but it isn't.  There are a number of students in my class that are being handicapped by their weak algebra, but then are too strong for the -3 stream. 

I feel the gap between 30-2 and 30-3 is huge.  30-2 is a really challenging course, I can see a number of my students who are really really struggling.  Even those who are generally hard workers, who don't have the prerequisite skills.

I especially noticed this with the Rational expressions unit, students really have no understanding of how adding/subtracting fractions translates to adding/subtracting rational expressions.  They are able to do it in class with some help, but can't do it on their own at all.

I really just wish I had an extra 3 weeks to do this course...

Picture of Crystal  Lepp
by Crystal Lepp - Monday, 19 November 2012, 10:40 AM

I have done my units in the order or relations and functions first.  So Rationals, Polynomials, Exponential, Logarithmic and Sinusoidal.  Then Set Theory, Counting Methods and Probability. I have counting methods and probability left.  I started out with Rationals just incase I had any students switch down from math 30-1 to math 30-2, I had 6, this way they had at least taken rationals in 20-1 and it would not be as hard for me to get them caught up.  Also, my students always start off with a great work ethic and then it dwindles so I thought starting with a hard unit might be helpful.  So far I have liked my order and will try it again next year.

It is a lot to squish in for these guys though.  My plan is to be done before Christmas break and go over games and review after.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Monday, 19 November 2012, 8:25 PM

I mirror everything Colette just said.  I'm a little worried now that I won't have enough time after spending so much on Perms/Combs and then Rationals too.  I thought Rationals might restore some confidence after Perms/Combs - but so many students have sloppy factoring and math basics. 

Now I'm definitely scared for Logs.  

Picture of Brandon Craig
by Brandon Craig - Monday, 19 November 2012, 9:57 PM

Don't be!  Logs are so different from usual math stuff that it's like a fresh start.  So lousy math skills aren't as detrimental as usual.

Picture of Scott McMillan
by Scott McMillan - Monday, 19 November 2012, 10:05 AM

We are halfway through Exponential functions (finishing this Friday) and are following the textbook, so we have logs and sinusoidal left.  We are hoping to finish teaching the end of Dec, leaving 2 weeks in Jan for review and retests.

Picture of Gail Martin
by Gail Martin - Monday, 19 November 2012, 11:48 AM

I am using the Absolute Value Workbook and I am currently working on Poly/sinusoidal functions and then have Rational Functions left. 

My students had the most difficulty with set theory and Probability.  The Logs unit was not as terrifying as I thought it would be. 

I agree that some students are hindered by their weak algebra skills and that there really is a stream missing in between the -2 and -3 streams. 

I still have my project left to do and am hoping I will have a brainstorm on how to incorporate it into the rationals unit.  Yikes.

I like this course...much better than 30-1 where I feel more pressed for time.

Picture of Ashley Hofer
by Ashley Hofer - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 9:17 AM

I am using the Absolute Value Workbook as well and I am just finishing Application of Logs/Exp. Functions. I found the students were most successful in Logs and least successful in the perms and combs. I am sure that rational expressions will be the most difficult for them, due to their weak factoring skills.

Picture of Ashley Hofer
by Ashley Hofer - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 9:19 AM

Any resources that anyone has for the rational expressions unit would be helpful. Any problems? or practice questions? or lesson ideas?

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 11:53 AM

Factoring is the big one. I found my students had a hard time with that. Adding and subtracting rational expressions. Non-permissible values some got and some didn't.
Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 12:36 PM

Same here, some of my students even had trouble with common factoring i.e. 3x+3.  I wish I had time to spend 2 classes strictly on factoring but I really didn't feel I had time.

But without factoring, the adding/subtracting rational expressions were basically imposssible.

Picture of Brian DeGiuseppe
by Brian DeGiuseppe - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 1:19 PM

It's shocking as to how bad they are at factoring. I guess we're all seeing first-hand the consequences of not having factoring first introduced to students in grade 9, as it was in the old curriculum. 

Picture of Rochelle McAdam
by Rochelle McAdam - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 10:00 AM

My time in this course has been unusual. We split the class in two back in late October so another teacher taught the first 3 units: Set Theory, Perms&Combs and Probability. I took half of them and we are now just finishing Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. We are following the Absolute Value workbook so we still have to do Poloynomial/Sinusoidal Functions and Rational Expressions/Equations. My students are doing alright with the Exp/Logs stuff. They did struggle with Probability/Perm & Combs. We are definietly feeling the crunch for time!! I'm worried about the rational expressions unit for sure, I know my kids are weak with algebra and there won't be much time to review before getting into it.

We have made some stuff that I can share when I get a moment to sort through it.

Rochelle