M10C Discussion Forum

Calculators

Picture of Jayne Powell
Calculators
by Jayne Powell - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 10:39 AM

I am wondering what type of calculator you have been asking your 10C's to purchase. Are you sticking with the 83/84+ or have you started using the Nspire, and if so, which one and how is it going?

Picture of Robyn Kumlin
Re: Calculators
by Robyn Kumlin - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 11:25 AM

I personally like the 83/84+ over the Nspire. A few of my students have the Nspire and they have found it hard to learn on. It is a bit combersome when trying to find properties of lines, like slope etc. It doesn't follow the same sequence of steps as the other calculators they get easily confused.

Picture of Mike McManus
by Mike McManus - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 2:19 PM

I am actually a big fan of Nspire, we have some students using both and I am findning that the Nspires are not only more powerful but seem to be easier for the students to learn.

This seems to contradict what the other poster has suggested but I think that they get to be pretty easy once students get over the initial challenges.

Picture of Korey Von Kuster
by Korey Von Kuster - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 3:32 PM

Hi everyone,  most of our kids have moved to the Nspire and it is going great.  They find that it is so much easier and intuitive.  As with everything, the first time they picked it up, there was a steep learning curve but those that have used both, they like the nspire better and can't imagine going back.  For our recent grade 10's, they have never used an 84 except to borrow one.  They can't wait to give it back. I can't even use my 84 anymore, it is just not as functional.  I hope this helps.

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
by Colin Veldkamp - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 3:37 PM

Aaaah ... the great calculator debate.

I personally have not had much experience with the N-spire and I know many of the teachers at my school are also not comfortable with it and teach using the TI 83-84 plus.  For this reason I recommend my students get the TI 83-84 plus.

Although, for Math 10-C I try not to use the calculator very much.  As a school we have decided to do all of Algebra and Number without a calculator to promote number sense.  I also do most of Relations and Functions without a graphing calculator.  I don't show them how to graph with a calculator until I'm at Systems of Equations.  I want them making tables of values by hand.  I've seen too many Math 31 students that don't know how to graph using a table of values!

I think not using calculators is good for those students who are moving to the -1 stream but some calculator exposure is good for those that are moving to the -2 stream.  Have to keep it balanced.

Just my thoughts.  Any feedback is welcome.

Colin 

Picture of Meghan McNalley
by Meghan McNalley - Wednesday, 9 January 2013, 3:49 PM

I think that if you gave half your class Nspires and half TI-83/84 and did not help them at all, the ones with the Nspires would find things faster.  The biggest problem I have is that I am familiar with the 83/84 and it's hard to find the time to learn something new.  Even after taking 2 workshops, I am still finding some things difficult, but with a little more time, I think/hope it will be worth it. 

One positive note - I have my kids explore the calc to discover the key sequences, etc.  They love finding a shorter way than me (or sometimes finding out their calc can do something I didn't know) and if they find it on their own, they are more likely to be able to find it again.