Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Question re: Practice and Final Exam documents posted

Picture of Sandi Berg
Question re: Practice and Final Exam documents posted
by Sandi Berg - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 9:55 AM

A colleague and I were working our way through the two exams posted:  Practice Final Exam and Final Exam and we ran into difficulty with three of the questions.  We're hoping some one can point us in the right direction.

Practice Final Exam:

#3.  The question says who watch Sports and News or just Reality.  Based on the wording of the question, we're assuming that they watch both.  Are we wrong?  If so, we get 28 but that's not an answer.

#4  We were confused what was considered a new triangle.  The lines are also very hard to see when printed out.  Our table wasn't working to get us to any of the values so we're assuming we've made an error just with the number of triangles.  Suggestions?

Final Exam 

#2 We get 22.

Picture of Sandi Berg
Re: Question re: Practice and Final Exam documents posted
by Sandi Berg - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 10:35 AM

Let me clarify my question about #3.  I just reread it and realized it's not clear.  We looked at  "who watch Sports and News or just Reality and read that as "the intersection between sports and news " Or just reality.  So we took the intersection total and added the just reality amount.

Clear as mud?

Picture of Crystal  Lepp
by Crystal Lepp - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 10:39 AM

I have only had the time to quickly go over the #2 on the final and I get 27.

the numbers that are in D' are 13,6,21,11

the numbers that are in F are 6, 21, 5, 8

As such, the numbers that are in D' and F are 21 and 6 which results in 27.

I hope this makes sense.

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 11:09 AM

Ok.  I'm an idiot.  Figured out I underthought it.  When I first looked at it, I questioned whether the Flute and Trumpet totals could possibly be included in the all 3 total and I chose to say nope.  Realize I should have trusted my first instinct!

Thanks!

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 10:56 AM

Just found another question we weren't sure about. 

Practice Final Exam

#27 .  We think the question should have had a denominator of x^2-4 for the third term rather than (x-4)^2 otherwise we're not seeing the answer.

Picture of Sandi Berg
by Sandi Berg - Tuesday, 22 January 2013, 11:18 AM

Ok.  So we figured out operator error on our part for the two venn diagram questions.  Silly mistake.  Thanks for the help! 

Thanks Chad for emailing me detailed information (on the snowflake as well) as well as Crystal's support.  Now it's just a matter of the final question I've listed later about the denominators.

If an answer key isn't posted, we'd be more than happy to share ours, both with and without worked solutions.