Discussion Forum

Reflections on Math 30-3 Semester 1

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Reflections on Math 30-3 Semester 1
by Colin Veldkamp - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 6:33 PM

For those of you who taught Math 30-3 in the first semester, what are some of your thoughts on the course?  What resources did you use?  What went well?  What would you do differently?

This course is a work in progress and your contributions will help improve everyone's teaching!

For resources, I personally ended up having a single copy of each of the following:

• McGraw-Hill: Math at Work 12 Textbook & Teacher Resources
  • Pacific Press: MathWorks 12 Textbook, Workbook & Teacher Resource

The students each had a copy of the Math at Work 12 Textbook (McGraw-Hill).

If I had to choose a textbook I would pick McGraw-Hill over Pacific Press.  The Math at Work Textbook is very visually appealing although I found that for some units the practice and link to curriculum wasn't great.
I received access to the Pacific Press Workbook later in the semester and while it wasn't very colouful there was a lot of good practice in it and I ended up using it more than the textbook.
As for the Teacher Resources I didn't use them much except for the Sample Tests and Solutions from the Pacific Press Teacher Resource. 

My recommendation would be to as a teacher try to get a copy of each textbook to draw ideas and resources from but for the students get them the MathWorks 12 Workbook.  
If anyone else has thoughts on the resources they used please reply to the group.

I am not teaching Math 30-3 next semester and for the ERLC project I am going to spend more time on the Math 10-C page.  I will still monitor this Math 30-3 site and all the resources will be available indefinitely.

For those that are teaching Math 30-3 for the first time, I hope that you find the resources on this page useful and I encourage everyone to share any resources (big or little) that they think would help new teachers to the course.  Either email me resources to post or you can attach items to the discussion forum.  This site is a work in progress and it would be great to build it into a page that will be a great benefit to anyone just beginning to teach Math 30-3 or looking for new ideas.

Thank you very much for being involved in this project and I look forward to a continued discussion on teaching Math 30-3.

Colin