Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Confusion in the Textbook (Nelson - Principles)

Picture of Heidi McInnes
Confusion in the Textbook (Nelson - Principles)
by Heidi McInnes - Friday, 8 February 2013, 3:38 PM

I ran into a problem on P. 40 Example 1

when I read the statements "4 children have a dog and a cat" I read this as the intersection of the two sets.  However in the solution they have the intersection of those two sets as the expression "4 + x" 

Does anyone else get what I'm saying.  I thought that the number 4 was an inclusive statement.  Why are they then saying that the intersection is '4 + x'  ?  The same goes for the other two intersections. 

Other questions work out fine, but I'm having a real problem with the origional wording in the example. 

If I'm off base here, can someone enlighten me? 

Thanks!

Picture of John Beach
Re: Confusion in the Textbook (Nelson - Principles)
by John Beach - Friday, 8 February 2013, 4:24 PM

You miss read the statement.  It actually reads "4 children have only a dog and a cat." Since there was also children with birds as pets, the intersection of having all three types of pets was labelled as "x". So a statement "having dog and cat" without the word "only" attached can imply (having a dog and cat and a bird) or (only having a dog and cat). Which would give the x + 4.  Hope this helps.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Sunday, 10 February 2013, 7:56 PM

I set up my venn diagram with the stem information that is given.  In my textbook there is not a statement that says "4 children have a dog and a cat only"  just "4 children have a dog and a cat"  "3 children have a dog and a bird" and "2 children have a cat and a bird"  all of these statements are and statements refering to the intersection of the sets. 

however I have the pre-publication issue - so maybe they have corrected the wording with the actual textbook. 

I just think for the solution method that is shown - those beginning statments need to be only statements.

Picture of Nicole Majeau
by Nicole Majeau - Saturday, 9 February 2013, 2:35 PM

I found in the workbook a problem where they mention a statement and assume the four is referring to the "only" spot as I call it with my students. The workbook is mistaken and the textbook does not have this issue that I've run into so far. If they want it to be 4+x, it has to say "ONLY". "And" refers to the intersection of the two.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Sunday, 10 February 2013, 7:57 PM

I too found a question in the workbook that is problematic.  Jeesh!  This is frustrating.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Monday, 11 February 2013, 3:29 PM

I found my error.  I was looking in my pre-publication edition textbook.  The wording is correct in the actual textbook that the kids use.

I guess I should throw that textbook out.

Sorry for the confusion that was created for no reason at all :(