Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Pathways

Picture of Kim Barzilay-Lamers
Pathways
by Kim Barzilay-Lamers - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 1:33 PM

I see that pathways are in the textbook but i haven't seen anything about it in the assessment standards or sample questions. Are you guys covering them? To what extent?

Thanks,

Kim

Picture of Wanda McGrath
Re: Pathways
by Wanda McGrath - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 4:25 PM

Hello Kim, this is my first time teaching the Math 30-2 and I am covering it just in case. NOt to a great extent but with some examples in class so they will have seen it before. I teach by distance and it is mentioned in the module book #3 that I follow along when I am making my notes for teaching.

Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Thursday, 21 February 2013, 8:06 AM

Hi Kim,

I taught pathways both by using the "count the paths" method as well as the FCP method.  I only assessed them on the simple rectangle and the two rectangles put together at a corner.  I didn't use any that had holes or didn't go from one corner to the opposite corner.

I didn't think my students found the pathways very difficult though so it didn't take very much of my time.

Picture of Vicky Wisheu
by Vicky Wisheu - Friday, 22 February 2013, 11:44 AM

I received this information at an ERLC session in December put on by Jenny Kim and Deanna Shostak. The statements in quotation marks are taken from a document they handed out.

Pathways is not an outcome in either 30-1 or 30-2. It could be tested as application of permutations with repetitions.

Math 30-2  SO5 (Prob) - "simple 2D pathways are applications of repeated permutations"  (this means that only rectangles without holes or overlaps will appear on the diploma).

Math 30-1  SO2 (PCBT)  "Single 2-dimensional pathways may be used as an application of repetition of like elements"  (again, this means 2D rectangles without holes or overlap will appear on the diploma)

Math 30-1 SO4 (PCBT)  "No pathways as applications of Pascal's Triangle"