Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Replacement Exam

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Replacement Exam
by Candace Ketsa - Thursday, 20 June 2013, 2:40 PM

I am wondering if anyone used the replacement exam this past semester.  For my students it was an optional exam and if they achieved a mark that was higher than any other unit exam, I would replace the lower mark for the higher one. 

My students did not do well on it at all.  The highest mark was 65%.  I was wondering how others did. Was this a hard exam?  Or was it the fact that it was optional and students did not really study for it.  Thoughts?

Picture of Jesse Atkinson
Re: Replacement Exam
by Jesse Atkinson - Thursday, 20 June 2013, 3:37 PM

I used the ERLC mock final exam as an In-Class final exam. My highest mark was 73%, but I modified some questions. All of the students marks were pretty close to the mark prior to the test. I thought the test was a fair representation of what they need to be able to do for their Diploma exam.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Friday, 21 June 2013, 8:46 AM

I used it as an in-class final.  I modified it to fit for a 80minute class so I reduced the amount of questions significantly.  It was difficult (for my class this semester), but I think it's fair.  My class average was in the mid 50's if that information helps.  Two students did really well with only answering one question incorrectly - but the rest struggled.

Picture of Kathy Lambert
by Kathy Lambert - Friday, 21 June 2013, 9:33 AM

I used the mock final as an in-class final.  It was thorough and the students did relatively well.  Thank you for all the time spent putting it together.

Picture of sharon davyduke
by sharon davyduke - Friday, 21 June 2013, 11:01 AM

I used the exam as a class final as well.  I thought it was very fair with the right number of challenging questions.  It was formatted just like a diploma, which I appreciate, so kids really got a good feel of what the real test will be like.  Thank you for posting this exam, and for all the work you put into it - I did not have time to make one myself.  (Class average was about 70%.)

Picture of Yolanda Chang
by Yolanda Chang - Friday, 21 June 2013, 12:27 PM

I used it as an in-class final but I changed a few questions around. The class average was around 50% and the highest was 80%.  I thought the formatting was great, though.

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Sunday, 23 June 2013, 7:31 AM

I am so glad that teachers felt it a fair exam and a  good representation of what a diploma may look like. 

I noticed that some of you made changes to the exam.  If there were any errors, formatting or notation changes that need to be made can you please email me so that I can revised the exam.

Thank you.