Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Animations for Transformations

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Animations for Transformations
by Colin Veldkamp - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 2:28 PM

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to highlight the work that Glen Reesor has done with Geogebra that is related to Transformations.  He has a number of different Geogebra projects that use Technology to illustrate concepts and also give the students the opportunity to practice.     

Does anyone have any other favourite animations they like to use?  Reply to this post and let everybody know.  I've heard of the Desmos calculator but haven't really done much with it.  Does anyone use Desmos and does it work well?

Thanks,

Colin

Picture of Robyn Kumlin
Re: Animations for Transformations
by Robyn Kumlin - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 3:18 PM

In regards to Desmos, I just used it today to show my students what happens when we do stretches to graphs. I use it as a digital calculator so the kids can see what they should have on their calculators. It works really well, plus you can get an app for your Ipad and then you can have it to help students as you walk around the classroom.

Robyn

Picture of Scott Seland
Re: Animations for Transformations
by Scott Seland - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 10:19 PM

I'm also a HUGE fan of Desmos.  I've used Geogebra, and it can do a lot that Desmos can't do, but Desmos is powerful and very quick and easy to use.  

Here's a link to a series of short tutorial videos 

If your students have Google accounts they can log in to Desmos and save (and share) graphs in Drive.

A good activity for generalizing transformations is to make your first equation:

f(x) = x2

and your next equation parts of or all of

y=a f(b(x-h))+k

using numbers or sliders for the parameters.  A big advantage of Desmos over Geogebra is that it automatically creates the sliders for you (though when you use sliders in Geogebra you can see the numbers change in the equation, which you can't in Desmos).  Then you can change "x2"  in the first equation to any function and see that the parameters a,b,h,k have the same effect on any function.

I don't start with this of course, but it's a good way to tie it all together.