Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

math 30-1 exam results

Picture of Diane Williams
math 30-1 exam results
by Diane Williams - Friday, 21 February 2014, 7:12 AM

I was very disappointed in the exam results for my students for the Jan 2014 exam. I had an exceptional class, yet their results were very poor. Did anyone have similar findings?

Picture of Helen MacLeod
Re: math 30-1 exam results
by Helen MacLeod - Friday, 21 February 2014, 7:58 AM

I feel the same.

Picture of Cheryl Phillips
by Cheryl Phillips - Friday, 21 February 2014, 8:05 AM

I too was very disappointed in the results.  I felt that the students were prepared for the exam yet the diploma marks were overall low.  I have reflected on this and I am not sure how to better prepare them for tricky questions that are testing their reading comprehension before their math abilities.

by Diane Williams - Friday, 21 February 2014, 8:57 AM

I am awaiting the full provincial exam analysis.  If this exam shows a significantly lower average and standard of excellence, it seems unfair for the students writing this year.

Picture of Art Tucker
by Art Tucker - Friday, 21 February 2014, 9:10 AM

We have not received our results yet...

by Diane Williams - Friday, 21 February 2014, 9:52 AM

They are available through Extranet.

Picture of aaron weimer
by aaron weimer - Friday, 21 February 2014, 9:53 AM

My results were lower than expected as well.  I also thought that some of the questions were more difficult than last years diploma, but I also though last years diploma was quite easy.  We'll have to see what June brings...

Picture of Chaneen Wolstenholme
by Chaneen Wolstenholme - Friday, 21 February 2014, 9:58 AM

I feel the same. The exam results were very low compared to what I thought they would get.
Picture of Sean Schwarzer
by Sean Schwarzer - Friday, 21 February 2014, 12:33 PM

Where did you get the diploma results?

by Diane Williams - Friday, 21 February 2014, 1:14 PM

The results are available through extranet.

Picture of Jolene Fodness
by Jolene Fodness - Sunday, 23 February 2014, 1:42 PM

The results for my class were very poor as well. I knew I should have some students do very well and others not as much, but it was much lower than expected.

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Monday, 24 February 2014, 9:18 AM

I just got mine this morning. I was also very shocked to see how a few of my students faired. I felt that the exam was fairly difficult at times. Several of the questions had some trick components. I was also not impressed to see the interval notation as part of multiple questions, given that it is not explicitly outlined as part of the curriculum. 

Picture of gerald krabbe
by gerald krabbe - Monday, 24 February 2014, 11:06 AM

I have NOT seen my results yet. But after reading all the comments, I think we should step back and think about the Math 30-1 Course. The intention is that it is a course/stream students take that has significant algebraic depth in preparation of Calculus. Keep that in mind. Picking up on some themes of earlier comments, the questions should be tough and the test challenging, the questions should have depth, the questions should use notations as stated in the curriculum, the students should not expect to breeze through. The questions, all of them are from the program studies, acceptable and SE. Problems they face will not always be perfect, the way we expect them. The students should be flexible and be able to apply 'and solve problems that involve..." , and we as educators and colleagues should also be flexible and appreciative of the efforts of our colleagues that wrote these questions and that were field tested. Sure, I would have preferred if some of the questions were NOT asked (my students sure complained and said some weren't fair), because my students didn't ever encounter that style, but the questions were on topic, from curriculum, and asked for a depth of understanding that the course is supposed to provoke.

I have to provide that experience as well in my classroom, and this past diploma exam helped me realize the expectations placed on my teaching practice to provide a better depth and breadth!

Picture of Kevin Dunbar
by Kevin Dunbar - Monday, 24 February 2014, 12:16 PM

Is interval notation part of the math 30-1 curriculum?

I did not actually teach this course, but I am curious.

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Monday, 24 February 2014, 12:38 PM

Hey Gerald, 

While I admire your ongoing desire to provide that rich authentic experience to your students, I think this exam needs to fall into another category. I am sure most, if not all, 30-1 teachers on this thread seek to provide challenging and deep interactions with the 30-1 curriculum on a daily basis. I know that is how I attempt to teach the course. That said, we cannot expect a multiple choice test to weigh heavily in assessing students problem solving and critical thinking skills. The province has mandated this exam weigh 50% for these hard working students. I believe it is essential that questions (regardless of difficulty level) assess specific outcomes from the curriculum, and not focus mostly on their abstract applications. Teachers and students of diploma courses have plenty of curricular material to occupy their study, at least until the re-design, so that is where the bulk of direction of this exam should lead. If there is a true value for fostering those skills, a 40 questions multiple choice exam is not the method to bring them out. Simply reading this thread provides evidence enough for that. Granted, that is only my opinion. 

To answer your question Kevin, No. It is not explicitly stated in the curricular document. There is a reference in the Standards document that reads, "Set builder notation and interval notation are acceptable ways to express domain and range". However, I would like to see this notation become explicitly stated when the curriculum is altered in the near future.  

Picture of Mark Milner
by Mark Milner - Monday, 24 February 2014, 4:47 PM

Although no results yet, our department felt the test was more challenging than the Jan. 2013 diploma after viewing the perusal together. Several questions were more intricate, and there were fewer "gimme's". I would expect our school average to drop 3-5% on actual performance, but that may be masked if the provincial average plummets as it sounds like many of you are expecting. That said, I felt this exam was true to the stated curriculum and standards and that the reading was not excessive.While it is unfortunate that we lost the written (creative) component of the diploma exam, our clientele in 30-1 are supposed to be capable analytical and logical thinkers and understanding process was tested in more than one way on this exam.
Picture of Kevin Dunbar
by Kevin Dunbar - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 9:23 AM

are you sure that interval notation is explicitly stated in the program of studies. 5% of the test (2 questions) were based specifically on this skill.

an almost side note of "an acceptable way to express domain and range" in the standards document should not be 5% of a test.

Picture of Helen MacLeod
by Helen MacLeod - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 10:13 AM

I found it in the standards document not the program of studies.

Picture of Lisa Myers
by Lisa Myers - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 11:12 AM

The CRC is having a session "New to teaching a math or science Diploma Course" at the beginning of March.  I am going to get one of the teachers that I am sending to ask about this.  I'll post here after the session as to the reply.  

May give us some insight as to future topics we may see or the reasoning behind it.  

Picture of Paige Sears-Owchar
by Paige Sears-Owchar - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 11:56 AM

Could you post a link to more information about the session for those of us interested in going.

Picture of Kevin Dunbar
by Kevin Dunbar - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 12:10 PM

Must admit, most of the assessment standards use the word OR with domain and range.

The textbook that we use is supposed to be 100% aligned as it is approved, uses set builder notation exclusively and as we are in a small school. My school only has one section of this course in a school year.

It is tough to catch all these little hidden details...

Picture of Rebecca Schaab
by Rebecca Schaab - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 9:09 PM

This semester is my first time teaching 30-1and this CRC course sounds helpful. Do you have any more information about about it? 

Picture of Stephan Perozak
by Stephan Perozak - Saturday, 12 April 2014, 9:56 AM

Hello Lisa,

Did you get any useful information from this session?

Thanks,

Stephan Perozak

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 10:33 AM

You are right Kevin, it is not stated anywhere on the curriculum document. Only that reference is made on the Standards Document as Helen said. I was saying, it should be, should have been, but is not yet there. Personally I think thats a fairly large oversight. 

Picture of Rebecca Gustafson
by Rebecca Gustafson - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 12:03 PM

I was really dissapointed to see my results this year.  I had the strongest class that I have had in a long time and really feel that they bought in and worked dilgently the entire year.  We worked as a team and made goals for our entire class. I did not teach the notation on one of the questions that was tested.  I felt sick after the test and my students were very discouraged as they really understood the course and the content on a deeper understanding level but were tricked by the notation question. Is there anything that could be done about it?  Is the government regarding these results taking that question off as they did last year semester one with one question?  I have a large number of really bright students who are retaking the exam in April in hopes of getting a higher mark.  I really felt like I diligently persued the curriculum and this group had a full understanding; however my results sure don't show that. 

Pretty discouraging. 

by Diane Williams - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 5:35 PM

Hi Rebecca, I was not aware of the possibility of a Math 30-1 rewrite in April.  When I checked on the Alberta Education website, there was no indication of the Math 30-1 offered in April.  Please inform if you know otherwise.  Thank you.

Picture of Cheryl VanDusen
by Cheryl VanDusen - Wednesday, 26 February 2014, 8:04 AM

Math 30-1 is not being written in April of this year. The only courses offered in April are ELA 30-1, Soc 30-1, 30-2 and Bio 30.

Picture of Tenelle Brost
by Tenelle Brost - Wednesday, 26 February 2014, 10:57 AM

I have been following the discussion on here, and I am also very disappointed with my students' Math 30-1 diploma marks this semester. The part that I am most upset about is the fact that this affects our students SO MUCH. We, as teachers, teach this course to the best of our ability all semester long, and give our students a grade going into the diploma exam that we expect should be similar to their dipoma exam mark (most likely their in-school mark will be higher as we know), but in any case, many of these students NEED this mark to get into their chosen program at University. It's so discouraging for them (and for us teachers). I'm curious to hear the reponse from Alberta Education in the coming days after hearing from parents, teachers, and students. Our academic counsellor told me yesterday that U of S will accept students based on their in-school marks, not their diploma marks. Interesting. Maybe Alberta students will choose to go to Sask instead?

In the General Information Bulletin for 2013/14, it says that one of the changes being made is "to allow students increased access, felxibility, and opportunities to write or re-wrtie diploma examinations". And then further down on the same page says "Students may now re-wrtie diploma exams in November and April, regardless of whether or not they have re-taken the course during that session". Just wondering, Cheryl, if you know that for sure Math 30-1 will not be offered as a re-write in April? We were discussing this as the best option for our students.

Picture of Cheryl VanDusen
by Cheryl VanDusen - Wednesday, 26 February 2014, 11:59 AM

Diploma writings in November and April were originally only for Social and English. In the last several times, the sciences and maths have been added, but not for each session. As far as I know if you check the writing schedule on line at http://education.alberta.ca/media/6446740/04-dip-gib-2013-14_schedules%20significant%20dates_2013-08-01.pdf You will see that math 30-1 is not scheduled then.

Picture of Steve Muir
by Steve Muir - Wednesday, 26 February 2014, 3:00 PM

Thank you Tenelle for bringing this up. We can at times get caught up in the issues of Curriculum and Instruction, but in the end the effect results on this can have on students is every bit as important, if not more so. I know I also have some students from my class that now will have to re-evaluate their post-secondary plans as the program they have been working so far to qualify for is now out of reach because their average is now below the level set by the post secondary institutions. I do hope there is some way to help these students find reach their goals; and to be honest I do not think a re-write opportunity in June is the answer for most (if not all) of them.

Picture of Dave Martin
by Dave Martin - Monday, 24 February 2014, 4:15 PM

This brings up the age old problem "Is the tail wagging the dog or vice versa?" 

A problem I find is that it is impossible (or nearly impossible) to determine if the students have deep understanding with a multiple choice exam.  Yes this exam is the gatekeeper for most universities, but I feel as this notion is changing.  Already, University of Sask is looking at the class mark if it higher than the diploma mark.  Next, Red Deer College is going to take into account the teacher's mark more than the diploma when determining entrance requirements.  I think there are more pockets of this, and the pockets are growing.

Diane, but please don't disparage any great teaching due to low results, as I feel that our job as math teachers are to inspire students to learn the next level, not simply score a higher mark on the test.  

Seth Godin said "As soon as we associate reading with a test, we've missed the point" and I feel as this should be brought to math as well.  I personally have never put faith in the results of my students, as my faith in my teaching ability comes from their answers when I ask "Have I made you want to learn more?".

It breaks my heart when I hear of teachers taking away valuable time, which could have been spent on creativity and innovation, to teach test taking skills.  No matter what the results, focus on the former.  

Lastly, I have removed all forms of test prep from my math courses, and if you are interested here is the link http://realteachingmeansreallearning.blogspot.ca/2013/08/henry-ford-and-education.html

Picture of gerald krabbe
by gerald krabbe - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 11:46 AM

It is stated in Math 10C that:

It is essential that students understand and are able to use set builder notation and interval notation effectively since these will be the primary ways of describing sets of numbers in future courses...

Which means one could equally complain about the test having set builder notation... instead of interval.

It is stated in Math 30-1 again restates that students should understand both...

It is similar to knowing both ways of writing a combination. It is a note!, not within the 'outcome'.

Picture of Kevin Dunbar
by Kevin Dunbar - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 12:45 PM

I am more frustrated at the publishers and resource development of Alberta education than the actual diploma exam.  In a small school my teachers simply do not have time to comb through these things that finely and use the resources approved to aid in delivery. 5% of a diploma exam totally ignored in the student resources is a big oversight.

Picture of Jessica Noselski
by Jessica Noselski - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 1:36 PM

The only authorized resources according to the Alberta Education website is the McGraw-Hill PreCalculus 12, and in their student text they give domain and range as both set notation and interval notation. 

Picture of Jessica Noselski
by Jessica Noselski - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 1:36 PM

The only authorized resources according to the Alberta Education website is the McGraw-Hill PreCalculus 12, and in their student text they give domain and range as both set notation and interval notation. 

Picture of Kevin Dunbar
by Kevin Dunbar - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 2:43 PM

When the 10C came out we choose the Pearson resource. and stuck with it through grade 11 and 12 for consistency. obviously that was a big mistake...

didn't check if the grade 11 and 12 were approved. looks like those resources were not. Anyone else in the same boat?

Picture of Rebecca Gustafson
by Rebecca Gustafson - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 3:18 PM

I just peeked through the answer section of the approved resource and can't find any answers written in interval notation at all.  Set notation is all over the approved resource.  If you look up interval notation in the index it points to page 21 and there is a small box that says "There are several ways to express the domain and range of a function.  For example, you can use words, a number line, set notation or interval notation"  There is no explanation about interval notation and I can't find anywhere that explains the difference between brackets like ( vs [  in the approved textbook.  I guess it is my bad.  I will be sure to teach it explicitly in the future but the approved resource isn't much help in that department. 

Picture of Shannon Abercrombie
by Shannon Abercrombie - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 3:39 PM

Hi, Rebecca! As a Math 31 teacher, I appreciate the inclusion of interval notation as this is often how we require students to express the intervals where functions are concave up/down or positive/negative or the like.
Picture of gilbert kohle
by gilbert kohle - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 4:19 PM

I'm a math 30.1 and a math 31 teacher, and I do not appreciate the inclusion of interval notation in math 30.1 without due notice.  For 5% of the math 30.1 exam and not being in the curriculum until math 31 is unacceptable in my opinion.  In math 10C the only place that it is mentioned is in the Assessment Standards.

The Assessment standards state:

While students may have previously discussed restrictions on the variables in a linear relation, this is the first time that the terms domain and range are addressed. Some ways students may describe the domain and range for a linear relation include:

– written or verbal descriptions
– lists
– set builder notation;

– interval notation; 

There is no mention in the Program of Standards and the Achievement Indicators, nor in the Information Bulletin to make sure that these were to be used where they have never been tested on in the past on Diplomas.

The McGraw Hill textbook is not any better than Pearson text.  On page 207 of the textbook there is an explanation of interval notation and there are questions that use interval notation on pages 212, 217 and 219. And that is it, these questions just use interval notation to state the domain of Trig functions.  Students do not get any practice in using it with the textbook (so much for approved resources). 

I've made my displeasure known to both Ross Marion (Math 30.1 Diploma Manager) and Bernadette Huber (Curriculum Manager).

Picture of Deanna Matthews
by Deanna Matthews - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 4:30 PM

Interval notation is a standard of excellence at the grade 10 level. See page 31 and 32 of the Outcomes with Assessment Standards for Mathematics 10C 2012. The McGraw Hill Ryerson Grade 10 textbook addresses it on p. 295. 

Picture of Coreen Hudec
by Coreen Hudec - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 3:40 PM

We knew that the Pearson resource was not approved but really liked it. I have used it for the past two years and loved it. Kids love that they can write right in the book. As for interval notation, you're not alone. I taught a diploma prep course and a number of students were not refreshed on it in math 30-1. I use it all the time because it is necessary for calculus and this is a pre-calc course :)

Picture of Susan Gale
by Susan Gale - Friday, 28 February 2014, 5:07 PM

References to, and uses of, interval notation:

In Assessment Standards and Exemplars:  page 3 (Notes),   Page 20: Question 12,   Page 61: Question 14.

https://education.alberta.ca/admin/testing/diplomaexams/exambulletins.aspx

In Quest A+ Practice Exam for Math 30-1:  Question 3

https://questaplus.alberta.ca/

In the approved textbook:  Pages 21-24 (16 occurrences over the 4 pages),    page 207 (explanation),   page 212: #6d, 6e, 6f, 7c, 7d, 13b,    Page 217: #21c, 21d,    page 219: #15c

Both set builder notation and interval notation were used on math 30-1 diploma exams in 2013.

There are references to interval notation in the 10c standards document and the 20-1 resource.

Standards:  From the Information Bulletin on page 7:

During standards setting in February 2013, after the January 2013 exam was administered and marked, standards setters along with Alberta Education staff made adjustments as recommended by the group to the standards document. For example, a number of areas that were previously at the standard of excellence were now deemed to be at the acceptable level. This was due in most part to the reduction of content and the need to cover areas in more depth as required by the new curriculum. Teachers should be sure to view the revised standards document as posted.

https://education.alberta.ca/admin/testing/diplomaexams/exambulletins.aspx

by Diane Williams - Monday, 3 March 2014, 11:07 AM

I taught interval notation, I constantly referred to Curriculum Standards and Exemplars, I carefully reviewed the Exam bulletin, I used the questions from QuestAplus, many of my students attented a diploma review course; we worked hard all year, thinking we would do well.  It appears that I may have done all the right things, but the intent all along was for students to do poorly relative to the 2013 exams.  I question the equality for this year's graduates. 

Picture of Shannon Abercrombie
by Shannon Abercrombie - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 3:37 PM

This year's exam was much more what I expected than last year's exams -- it required a thorough understanding of the content and the ability to critically analyze and problem-solve. Last year's diplomas were way too easy -- even my students with accommodations did not need the actual allotted time. I taught Pure Math 30 for seven years before switching to the new curriculum and find the course to be much more manageable. My class uses the Pearson Worktext and we have had very consistent results on diplomas (this exam session was consistent with our school marks). My instruction focuses on the content, but if you strive to reach all of the achievement indicators in the curriculum, your students should do fine. I do believe the diploma should only be worth 30% as I do not feel multiple choice/numerical response adequately illustrate a student's mathematical processing and reasoning. I think that post-secondary institutions should be taking a closer look at Math 30-2 and not putting things like Math 30-1 or Math 30-2 is acceptable as part of the application process (parents read this to mean that Math 30-1 is looked upon more favorably than Math 30-2).
Picture of Perry Kulmatyski
by Perry Kulmatyski - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 4:27 PM

Great discussion by all.  One think that is important to remember is that this course is not pure math 30 it is pre-calculus 30.  The population that used to take pure 30 is not the same as the one that should be in pre-calculus 30. We make an effort in our school to name to name the courses PreCalculus 30 and Foundations in Math 30.  In our little school we have, while counselling students on what stream to take, made a real effort to draw attention to the increased emphasis on algebraic skills in Pre Calculus vs Pure 30.  This course and the diploma exam is measuring the skills and concepts at a higher algebraic level than our pure course used to.  Many of the questions that could be worked backwards on the calculator in pure math 30 no longer can be.  That should be what we expect in a pre-calculus course. What I am finding is we still have a lot of students taking the course because they want or are forced to take a course to keep there doors open when they have no intentions of going in to a calculus based program.  Just something to consider. 

Picture of gilbert kohle
by gilbert kohle - Tuesday, 25 February 2014, 5:11 PM

I have no problem for providing challenging questions for students but we as teachers felt blind-sided by Alberta Ed with regards to the Interval Notation, it was not just casually used like in the text book but rather the students had to cognitively need to know the difference between ( and [.  Alberta Ed has always stated that the Diploma Exam would be based on the Program of Studies.  We had Ross Marion at our school for a PD day where he was outlining the changes to Math 30.1 to make it more challenging.  There was no mention of Interval Notation.  I religiously read the Information Bulletin about changes and concerns from Alberta Ed for future emphasis of content.  There was no mention. 

My fear is that if we allow this to slip by as acceptable is that they will feel that they can add or change the content on a whim in order to "lower" the average. 

Picture of Steve Muir
by Steve Muir - Wednesday, 26 February 2014, 9:04 AM

First I would like to say that I am in the same boat as many of the other teachers who have contributed to this discussion with respect to the disappointment in how the students did on the Exam. However, as I read the comments here I can't help but think that there is a bigger issue here than things like the inclusion of something like Interval Notation, as the discrepancy I saw in the marks was more than 5%. If many of you are seeing as wide a discrepancy as I am understanding, then what concerns me for the future is that there is obviously something that Alberta Education sees as is important to be assessed with respect to Math 30-1, and that we as teachers are either not aware of, or for some reason are not understanding, and unless this is clarified and remedied, this problem is not going to go away. With the impending curriculum changes in 2016, where we will be moving even further away from the approach many of us saw as students and as beginning teachers, I worry about what can be done to close this gap in understanding so that future classes do not have the same struggles our classes had this year. I have to admit at this time I do not have many answers, and I am not sure who does.

Picture of Cheryl Schaub
by Cheryl Schaub - Thursday, 20 March 2014, 1:19 PM

Alberta Education will be coming to Calgary on April 28th, 2014 to talk about the 30-1 (and 30-2) Diploma.  More information is attached and registration can be found at http://www.crcpd.ab.ca/programs/category/15#programs.  Most of the comments/concerns in this thread has been given to them and they will look to address them during their presentation (comments/concerns were kept anonymous).

Picture of Sharon Barry
by Sharon Barry - Thursday, 20 March 2014, 2:01 PM

Will this session be offered in Edmonton or any other part of the province?  We are in Grande Prairie and very interested in attending this session but Calgary is far to travel for one day.

Picture of Stacey Estey
by Stacey Estey - Thursday, 20 March 2014, 2:51 PM

I am also curious as to whether there will be a session offered in Edmonton. Calgary is a far distance for me as well. I would love the opportunity to attend this session.

Picture of Cheryl Schaub
by Cheryl Schaub - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 9:04 AM

There is a session scheduled in Grand Prairie on May 1, 2014 through the NRLC.  For more information go to their website https://www.nrlc.net/content/provincial-assessment-mathematics-30-1-30-2-0.  There is also VC capability for this location.

Picture of Cheryl Schaub
by Cheryl Schaub - Thursday, 20 March 2014, 4:22 PM

I do not know if there will be a similar session in other parts of the province.  I will let my fellow ARPDC math consultants know there is interest.  It is up to them to organize it from there.

Picture of Cheryl Schaub
by Cheryl Schaub - Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 12:25 PM

ERLC is offering a session with Alberta Education in Edmonton on May 20.  More information can be found at http://www.erlc.ca/programs/details.php?id=5146