Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Rational Expressions & Equations Summary Charts

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Rational Expressions & Equations Summary Charts
by Colin Veldkamp - Wednesday, 7 May 2014, 2:50 PM

Some summary charts for Rational Expressions & Equations have been added to the site.  These charts may help students see connections and keep various strategies straight.  The charts are posted on the FEATURED RESOURCES - Rational Expressions & Equations page.

Picture of Mike Saliani
Re: Rational Expressions & Equations Summary Charts
by Mike Saliani - Monday, 19 May 2014, 7:44 AM

Thanks, nice chart (small mistake on the Simplifying/npvs on the second last line) to summarize. 

I find the kids have always struggled with the difference between expressions and equations.  I have found for equations that having the kids determine a common denominator on both sides before solving has worked great. If the denominators are equal, then the numerators are equal and we can focus on solving just that part. 

As well, I avoid using the word "cancel" even though the kids loving using it, I find they have little understanding what they are doing and it creeps into other work.  "cancel" means that there is "nothing" there, which isn't true, there is 1 there.  We have a quick discussion about this and then use "divides to one". This has prevented random crossing out of terms. I also avoid the phrase "cross-multiply and divide" for the same reason: lack of understanding of what is occurring and when they can and cannot perform this shortcut.

Just my thoughts.

Mike