M10C Discussion Forum

project based Learning

Picture of Alicia Hall
project based Learning
by Alicia Hall - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 9:41 AM

Hi,

I was curious if anyone had any expertise in the area of PBL.

I am looking to implement this into math 10-C and 10-3. any ideas on which Unit would be best to start in?

And does anyone use projects as a form of assessment or do you just assess in an exam. Thank you

Alicia Hall

Picture of Kristina Rentz
Re: project based Learning
by Kristina Rentz - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 10:26 AM

I do a project for 10C. It incorporates 5/7 units.  The students work with community members and then present at a Math showcase night.

Because of the amount of work they put into it, we use it as a 5% assessment.

We do a few little projects with 10-3, but not a large on like 10C.

Hope that helps.  If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

krentz@rockyview.ab.ca

Picture of Seema Jessel
by Seema Jessel - Wednesday, 28 January 2015, 11:11 AM

Hello Kristina, Can I connect with you regarding the project you do for Math 10C? Thanks, Seema
Picture of Rochelle McAdam
by Rochelle McAdam - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 10:47 AM

I do a lot of projects in my classes, particularily 10-3. I also teach Arts Centered Learning so when I have an ACL Math 10C, I use some projects to highlight the connection between math and art but they are more for enrichement rather than assessment. I rarely use projects as a replacement for a unit test in math 10C but I do use them in 10-3. I have a recipe project for Mass, Temp & Volume; the entire Income unit is done through a project which I got from this moodle I think and modified; I do scale diagrams for Similar Figures (this is not a replacement for a test). I'd be happy to share any of these with you if you're interested.

Rochelle McAdam

Picture of Alicia Hall
by Alicia Hall - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 11:28 AM

Yes, I would love to be in contact with you. My email address is alicia.hall@sd76.ab.ca

Picture of Rochelle McAdam
by Rochelle McAdam - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 3:43 PM

I have tried to attach a few of the projects I've used for Math 10-3 but i get a message saying they are too large...

I can email them to anyone who wants them, or if there is another way to upload them here, please let me know.

Rochelle

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
by Colin Veldkamp - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 8:10 PM

Hello Rochelle,

Thank you for your willingness to share the resources you have.  If you would like to email them to me (colin.veldkamp@epsb.ca), then I should be able to post them on the site for everyone to access.

Thank you,

Colin

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
by Colin Veldkamp - Thursday, 22 May 2014, 2:44 PM

Rochelle has shared a number of projects that she has used for Math 10-C.  I have uploaded them to the Math 10-C website and they may be found here.

Thanks Rochelle,

Colin 

Picture of Carla Thomas
by Carla Thomas - Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 8:11 PM

Hi Rochelle,

I would love those projects for 10-3 and your ACL Math 10C.

Thank you!

Carla