Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Math 30-1 Assessment Standards

Picture of Stephanie MacKay
Math 30-1 Assessment Standards
by Stephanie MacKay - Sunday, 9 September 2012, 8:34 AM

On page 9 and 10 of the Assessment Standards and Exemplars for Math 30-1 from Alberta Education are the Standard of Excellence types for Transformation.

I had to be cautious when creating the Chapter exam not to go crazy with including all types of transformations in the same question. Standard of Excellence includes vertical and horizontal stretches together; vertical and horizontal stretches with translation; a stretch with a reflection and even a stretch with a reflection on the other axis.

What are your thoughts on this topic for assessment? How many functions with parameters a,b, h, and k did you include on your chapter exam?

Picture of Randy Roth
Re: Math 30-1 Assessment Standards
by Randy Roth - Sunday, 9 September 2012, 11:37 AM

Unfortunately I do not have this course until next term.  However I think that I would assess at most 2 of the possible S of E outcomes on any one test.  That way there is flexibility on the types of questions from one term to another.

Picture of Maxine Schnoor
Re: Math 30-1 Assessment Standards
by Maxine Schnoor - Monday, 10 September 2012, 8:56 AM

I made my chapter test be 15 MC/NR and 2 Short Answer. Of those, I have 4 questions that involve the standard of excellence (all MC or NR). We have 88 minute blocks so I think a test of this length would suffice.