Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Math 30-1 Radicals

Picture of Stephanie MacKay
Math 30-1 Radicals
by Stephanie MacKay - Monday, 17 September 2012, 8:25 PM

In the curriculum, Achievement Indicator 13.5 states: Describe the relationship between the roots of a radical equation and the x-intercepts of the graph of the corresponding radical function.

We solved radical equations in Math 20-1. How do you plan on presenting this outcome in Math 30-1?

Do you plan on solving algebraically to determine the roots?

Will you formally assess solving radicaly equations algebraically? 

What do you think?  Add to this discussion to share your interpretation of describing the relationship between the roots and the x-intercepts of the corresponding radical function with teachers in Alberta. It would be great if we all had the same interpretation.

Re: Math 30-1 Radicals
by Stephanie MacKay - Tuesday, 18 September 2012, 7:19 PM

This is a copy of a reply I received:

In 20-1 technology is not stated as a process in the program of studies and there is no mention of graphs in the outcome or the achievement indicators. The roots of a radical equation are only addressed from an algebraic point of view.
In 30-1 technology is one of the processes stated and graphing of radical functions is a big part of the focus in the outcome and the achievement indicators. It is much more about radical functions, their graphs and and their properties. The only reference to equations is making the connections between roots and x-intercepts, and to finding approximate solutions, which should be technology driven.

by Stephanie MacKay - Tuesday, 18 September 2012, 7:20 PM

Another reply I received:

What about solving graphically then checking the roots algebraically?

by Stephanie MacKay - Tuesday, 18 September 2012, 7:22 PM

This was forwarded to me:

This was a reply from one of the examiners, Jenny Kim.

You are correct, solving algebraically is only covered in 20-1. In 30-1, we focus on solving graphically and making the connection b/w the x-intercepts, zeros and roots.