Discussion Forum

Start of Linear Relations

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Start of Linear Relations
by Colin Veldkamp - Thursday, 4 October 2012, 10:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I've posted my concept map overview for Linear Relations and my lesson for the first concept of Scatterplots and Trends.  I decided to get my students to not only make scatterplots and lines of best fits by hand but also using Excel.  It's actually quite easy and I think a valuable skill for them to have.  The activity in the Math At Work 12 text on pg. 112-113 was pretty good.  We talked a little more about the golden ratio and the students seemed to enjoy that.

Heather Dimond also shared an idea that I'd like to pass on:

"For the Linear Functions unit I am planning on doing a water slide project (like in 10a)  then after they make a replica water slide they will go to west ed.  and try to make the equations needed for the sections of the slide using research of how high slides are and distance of each section.  (I haven’t worked out all the bugs yet)  if anyone has ideas on better ways to make this happen that would be great"

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Re: Start of Linear Relations
by Colin Veldkamp - Friday, 5 October 2012, 9:03 AM

Thank you Vicky Wisheu for the feedback.  I like it!

"What about having students take photos of the different slides with a person or an object in them to give scale?  They could work out slopes and lengths with photos"

Vicky Wisheu

PS - Just a reminder that when you hit reply on your email the message just gets sent to me.  If you click on the Reply link inside of the email then the discussion forum opens and you can post a reply for everyone to see.  Thanks, Colin.