Corrections in Nelson Workbook Unit 2.4

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Corrections in Nelson Workbook Unit 2.4
by Candace Ketsa - Thursday, 11 October 2012, 11:03 AM

Page 36 -- #5a 224 and #5b. 80

Picture of Kathlynne Butler
Re: Corrections in Nelson Workbook Unit 2.4
by Kathlynne Butler - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 4:58 PM

I got 224 for a. But I got the original answer from Nelson of 95 for B.

I understand how to do the grids where they are touching at the corners...but when they "overlap" like in B I'm not sure how I do it...

What I did was I pictured the question being similar to a) by cutting out the 4 squares on the bottom right. Then I did it as I did a and went (6!/4!2!)*(4!/3!) and I got 60. Then I added all the ways it would take to do the right rectangle (the 3 by 4 rectangle)) which was 7!(4!3!) = 35. Which gives me 95.

How are you getting 80? (I really hate this chapter.... it was my worst topic when I was in high school.. lol)

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Thursday, 26 September 2013, 9:41 AM

I'm pretty sure the only way to solve overlapping grids is by using Pascal's Triangle...  but overlapping grids aren't curriculum anyways as far as I know...

I found a nice worksheet/lesson one day when I was searching online.  here's the link and go to lesson 3 - "Pathways"  It's a great handout for the students for an intro and also for some challenging grids too.

http://www.bmlc.ca/PureMath30/Pure%20Math%2030%20-%20Permutations%20and%20Combinations.html

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Monday, 30 September 2013, 6:04 AM

For 5b on page 36 of the Nelson workbook I did the repetition method

10!  divided by 7!3!  =  80

Also in regards to these types of questions please click on the link below to take you to some important information that I discovered last year.

http://learning.arpdc.ab.ca/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=514