Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

General Corrections in Nelson Workbook

Picture of Kathlynne Butler
General Corrections in Nelson Workbook
by Kathlynne Butler - Monday, 23 September 2013, 10:02 AM

Hi - sorry, new to this forum - and first time teaching this class.

Is there a place on this site currently that lists ALL the corrections in one place? Either I'm doing this stuff wrong, or there are quite a few mistakes in the answers and I'm only on 2.4 ... Can anyone tell me if there are a lot throughout the whole book? One teacher mentioned this to me before that there were a lot of mistakes... But I wasn't sure what they meant before...

I see there are some posted (for 2.3 and 2.4 and 3.3 - which are the ones I was questioning anyway :) ) ...are there more posted on this forum?

If not, it would be nice if all the corrections that teachers find could be found in one spot. What do you think?

Picture of Trudy Gauthier
Re: General Corrections in Nelson Workbook
by Trudy Gauthier - Monday, 23 September 2013, 11:25 AM

Are you talking about the Text or the Workbook, it would be helpful for placing the correct anwers in one place also. As going through the first time; it makes you question if you are doing it right. As with the perm and coms and prob they are sure tricky.

Picture of Kathlynne Butler
by Kathlynne Butler - Monday, 23 September 2013, 3:56 PM

I'm referring to the Workbook. Another teacher also warned me about the same thing - that were many mistakes he has found. The ones I had concerns with, many of them have already had corrections posted. I'm just wondering if it's as bad as what one teacher briefly said in passing - "there are mistakes everywhere." 

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 6:31 AM

You are correct. When I was working through the workbook for the first time I was second guessing myself as well.  I will make a document on the website with any corrections that teachers may find. 

I know I have not found all of them, but I will start with the ones that I did find and then if anyone finds more, just email me the corrections and I will add them to the existing document. 

Picture of Trudy Gauthier
by Trudy Gauthier - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 5:12 PM

Oh I was using the Absolute Value one and find it to be quite useful for most of the units.  I don't use it for everything but as a supplement for extra questions or review.

Picture of Candace Ketsa
by Candace Ketsa - Tuesday, 24 September 2013, 6:23 PM

OK Math 30-2 the Challenge is On!!!!!

I have created a Corrections to Math 30-2 Resource Page.  If you find any errors in ANY of the resources that we use please email me directly and I will update the new webpage.

http://learning.arpdc.ab.ca/mod/page/view.php?id=5676

I hope this will be helpful.  Just keep corrections coming.

Picture of Heidi McInnes
by Heidi McInnes - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 8:30 AM

I too have began to use the Absolute Value resource, and I'm finding it a great supplement to my lessons.

I started with Ch. 4 Rational Expressions and Equations and i found the Absolute Value resource to be very useful for this chapter - the textbook just doesn't have enough good examples and practice problems.

Last year I followed the order of the textbook.  This year I'm going Ch. 4-8 then Ch. 1-3.  So far, starting with Ch. 4 has paid off - my students were extra focused and tried really hard.... I'm nervous about leaving Probability to the end though.... any thoughts/advice from those who have followed this order during their teaching last year??

I'd love to hear other teacher's thoughts about doing Probability at the end... were the students still focused?  How did they grasp it?

Thanks!!

Picture of Kathy Lambert
by Kathy Lambert - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 9:30 AM

This is the second time I am doing this course.  I start with chapter 5 polynomials as it is an easier start just after holidays.  Then I go to chapter 4, I agree the textbook could use a few more questions.  Rationals are a difficult concept as the two "F" words in math, Factoring and Fractions, are involved.  I then go to chapters 6-8 and finally end with 1-3.  My class was very successful last year with this route and I hope it will be the same again.  Good luck with your semester!

Picture of Crystal  Lepp
by Crystal Lepp - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 10:05 AM

I have only done it relations and functions chapters than set theory, perms and combs and probability.  I like this order but I feel like no matter what order you do they will lose focus in the end. 

Picture of Matthias Cheung
by Matthias Cheung - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 2:02 PM

I used Absolute Value too. Here's the order I followed last year. Seemed to work well. Rational expressions is probably the hardest unit...sinusoidal functions probably the easiest.