Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Polynomial Division Curriculum Interpretation

Picture of Dan New
Polynomial Division Curriculum Interpretation
by Dan New - Friday, 19 October 2012, 10:29 AM

I am having a hard time deciding how I will talk about polynomial division. The program of studies looks like this:

11.1 Explain how long division of a polynomial expression by a binomial expression of the form x a,aI , is related to synthetic division.

11.2 Divide a polynomial expression by a binomial expression of the form x a,aI , using long division or synthetic division.

Does this mean as long as they know either long division or synthetic division they should be comfortable? Or does this imply they should know both? If they need only be comfortable with one it will allow me to spend less time on long division and just relate long division to synthetic division. In reality they only time I can imagine students wanting to use long division is when they are specifically asked. My concern is that it will be part of the diploma and if that is the case students need the ability to practice that concept as well as be assessed on these type of questions.

Any thoughts or imput would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Re: Polynomial Division Curriculum Interpretation
by Candace Ketsa - Friday, 19 October 2012, 11:02 AM

My interpretation is that they need to know both.  I did both in my class.  I think the students decided on which method they like better.  Most decided on synthetic.

Picture of Jacqueline Fern
by Jacqueline Fern - Friday, 19 October 2012, 11:13 AM

From the session I attended with Alberta Education.  Yes, as long as they know one or the other, they should be okay.

Picture of Michelle Connor
by Michelle Connor - Friday, 19 October 2012, 11:45 AM

I taught them both.  Some preferred long division and some preferred synthetic.  I showed them how synthetic and long division were related (i.e.: Same process, just less writing).  They found it harder to remember how to do synthetic division with a binomial such as 2x-3, in which case they found long division was a safer route.  

I think that they will be okay with one or the other as long as they can apply the method to any situation.

Michelle

Picture of Mike Lang
by Mike Lang - Friday, 19 October 2012, 12:59 PM

Students only need to be able to divide by binomials of the form x - a.

-Mike

Picture of Mark Heinricks
by Mark Heinricks - Friday, 19 October 2012, 12:27 PM

Just attended a session with Ross Marian yesterday...

Asked a similar question... his response was that methodology would NOT be tested... the outcome of the method chosen will be the testing focus... i.e. "What are the roots of the polynomial" will be what is tested NOT how did you find the roots... as he put it, whether it is long division or even for synthetic division, some will add, others will subtract, and so without the written response... no questions for methodology can be considered for something like this.

Hope that makes sense... and helps.

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Sunday, 21 October 2012, 9:52 PM

Thanks everyone, that was pretty much what I had expected. I am teaching both to the students but now know how I want to assess them to mirror what they might expect on the diploma. Is it just me or do you find it odd that the expectation is that students only need to do x-a. I suppose this is the more practical application of factoring a cubic or quartic polynomial but I would expect things to be more difficult in this area. Regardless, I think I will allow students to use either method as we move forward.

Thanks everyone again

Dan