Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Logarithmic Regression

Picture of James Smith
Logarithmic Regression
by James Smith - Monday, 19 November 2012, 10:50 AM

I had issues with choosing independent and dependent variables for logarithmic regression. I felt that the majority of problems in the textbook were better resolved by an exponential function than a logarithmic function. Several times I found myself saying "Just choose the independent variable to be the population and the dependent variable be the time in years." I'm not sure if anyone found a more satisfying solution?

Picture of Candace Ketsa
Re: Logarithmic Regression
by Candace Ketsa - Tuesday, 27 November 2012, 3:41 PM

James

I am not at that unit yet.  Can you tell me an example from the textbook that seemed to given the students problems?  I am very interested.

Picture of James Smith
Re: Logarithmic Regression
by James Smith - Monday, 3 December 2012, 10:46 AM

In the section's notes, example 1, the percent charge in a capacitor is recorded at different times. It makes sense to treat the times chosen as the independent variable and the charge as the dependent variable. Then the charge decays exponentially. Instead, we are asked to have the time depend logarithmically on the capacitor's remaining charge. Similarly in the exercises, questions 3, 5, 7, and 9 look like exponential functions if we use what I think is the common sense choice for dependent and independent variables.