Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Timeline for the Course

Picture of Maxine Schnoor
Timeline for the Course
by Maxine Schnoor - Monday, 10 December 2012, 8:52 AM

I'm just curious where some other teachers are in their progress of making it through this course.  I will be finishing up the Trigonometry Strand this week, with a major exam to happen at that time.  I have gotten all of the Relations and Functions Strand done, so all I have left to do is the Permutations/Combinations Strand.  Just wondering how that compares to some other people? As well, how much, if any review will other teachers be doing and what will that look like in your classrooms? Does anyone give an in-class final exam?  Just some questions that I'm wondering about.  Thanks.

Picture of Micheal Barwegen
Re: Timeline for the Course
by Micheal Barwegen - Monday, 10 December 2012, 9:39 AM

I am in the same boat as you, I am just finishing up the second last strand this week, and will just have permutations and combinations. My goal will be to finish that before breaking for Christams.  After that we will do some review when back, and have an in class final before spending a few classes on practice diploma type questions, and a class of diploma strategies. 

Picture of Lisa Macauley
by Lisa Macauley - Monday, 10 December 2012, 11:19 AM

I am just finishing up trig functions and will be starting trig equations on wednesday.  I will be finishing the course before the break as well.  We have an in class final in the new year.  I am glad to see that I am kind of on the same track as everybody else. 

Picture of Victoria Smith
by Victoria Smith - Monday, 10 December 2012, 9:44 AM

I am also down to Perms/Combinations.  The unit exam is on Thursday, Dec. 20.  We have one week after the break.  I have a field test scheduled on Wed. Jan. 9 and an in-class final exam for Thursday, Jan. 10.  The other days will be review. 

Picture of Tereza Malmstrom
by Tereza Malmstrom - Monday, 10 December 2012, 10:17 AM

We are finishing exponents tomorrow and have logs left to complete before Christmas break.  We have only 4 days of class time when we return: one day review, one day cumulative exam, one day for field test, final day to go over questions/concerns.

Our school is also running an in school diploma prep over three days during the exam period for a total of 9 hours: to empasize key points and look at diploma type questions.  Students must register for this and pay a small fee to cover photocopying (I believe).

Our students have felt overwhelmed with the pace of this course.  Particularly in rational expressions, trig and Perms and combs.  How are other classes feeling?

Picture of Marilyn Wallace
by Marilyn Wallace - Monday, 10 December 2012, 10:26 AM

I am finishing the course before Christmas.  We have a few weeks in January, and so I will be reviewing, the kids will do a practice final exam, and also an oral review project before the diploma exam.

It has been a huge push to finish this year, but I have already identified several places where I can be more efficient next year.

Picture of Jessica Andersen
by Jessica Andersen - Monday, 10 December 2012, 11:03 AM

I will be done my last unit (Permutations and Combinations) by the end of the week.  Next week we will have the last unit test and a second midterm before Christmas.

After Christmas we have two full weeks of class so we will be spending lots of time on review (both individual and class).  I will be formatting my class review as diploma prep but we are not having a final.

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Monday, 10 December 2012, 11:06 AM

I am on par to finish up with Perms and Combs before our break. We will have a couple weeks after the break to review. I will have students do an in-class written exam before their diploma and we have a field test first week back also. I think next year I will be moving to fewer assessments and more frequent quizzes to save some instructional days. I also plan on combing a few concepts to tighten things up. Other than that, I think we have been pretty good pace wise. 

Picture of Shaun Thomas
by Shaun Thomas - Monday, 10 December 2012, 1:32 PM

I am a little behind most everyone else (I still have Perms and Combs, and Rational Functions). I am working at an international school that is implementing the Alberta Curriculum, and our schedule is a little different. I have been unsure how our pace has been comparing with the rest of Alberta. Would anyone be able to send me a breakdown of the number of days spent/classes spent on each topic? And how long your classes are? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Picture of Alzona OwenBrown
by Alzona OwenBrown - Tuesday, 11 December 2012, 6:50 PM

I am also in the process of completing the trig unit and will have a cumulative exam on Friday.  Then onto permutations and combinations for a week for the break, I will probably test them on what they have completed before the break and then finish up after we get back in Jan.  I am a little disappointed in the lack of depth of the trig section, I hope these students are not going to come up short in the upcoming Calculus course.  I guess time will tell.

Picture of Jenna Nolan
by Jenna Nolan - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 8:50 AM

For people who managed to complete all topics in Math 30-1 last year before Christmas would  you mind sharing what your timeline looks like.  I would like to try and be done before Christmas this year and am unsure what the time alottment per chapter looks like.  If anyone can help I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 9:33 AM

Hi Jenna

I actually just finished my calendar for this year. I have attached it for you. Hope it helps. 

Dan

Picture of Tereza Malmstrom
by Tereza Malmstrom - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 9:42 AM

Here is what we will be trying at our school this semester.  We changed the order from last year.

I would be interested in any comments.

Thanks,

Tereza Malmstrom

Picture of Fawn Coupland
by Fawn Coupland - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 5:50 PM

Thanks so much for sharing the timeline. I like it as it is in the order that I like to present the course. I am just wondering, how long are your classes? We are a small school and so pretty much anyone who wants to can take the course. I find that I have to slow down quite a bit to accommodate everyone. Do you find that you can speed up because the assessments for each unit are smaller and there are instead 4 larger assessment for the cumulative exams? I would like to see what your quizzes and cumulative exams look like

Fawn