Math 30-2 Staffroom -- A Safe Place to Share and Reflect

Sinusoidal Functions

Picture of Matthias Cheung
Sinusoidal Functions
by Matthias Cheung - Friday, 10 May 2013, 11:24 AM

Just wondering to what extent teachers are focussing on prerequisite knowledge for sinusoidal functions (ie rotation angles, unit circle, converting between degrees and radians, cosine graphs).

I'm using the AVP resource and was planning on only focussing on amplitude, period, shifts, and modelling data (applications in context). I would like to spend more time at the end of this year to review for the diploma. The standards and exemplars from AB Ed seem to only focus on analysis of the sin graph itself and the components in relation to the context.

Any thoughts?

Picture of Jesse Atkinson
Re: Sinusoidal Functions
by Jesse Atkinson - Friday, 10 May 2013, 1:27 PM

I extended it bit (beyond the curriculum).  I show my student how to convert between radian and degrees and visa versa.  After discussing the parameters of sinsoidal function we will do some problems that are in radian and degree measure or is a sine/cosine function. We discuss the similarities and differences between the sine and cosine graph.

Hope this helps.

Picture of Mike Saliani
Re: Sinusoidal Functions
by Mike Saliani - Tuesday, 28 May 2013, 8:39 AM

We quickly talk about radians and a cosine graph, but after we focus on just sine functions.  The AVP goes beyond the 30-2 program of studies quite often.