M10C Discussion Forum

Linear Equations Group Activity Contribution

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
Linear Equations Group Activity Contribution
by Colin Veldkamp - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 3:55 PM

Thank you to Paula for sharing a group activity for Linear Equations called Linear Equations Roundtable.  I'll share Paula's explanation of the activity below.

"Students are put into groups of 4.  Each person has a step to complete before it gets passed to the next person, who checks the previous work, and then completes the next step.  I usually print each sheet on a separate piece of paper and rotate around the group giving each person a chance to be "person 1"."

Sounds like this Roundtable activity could help students hold each other accountable as well as promote some valuable communication between the steps.  Hopefully students that struggle with their step will get assistance from peers during the checking phase and they will also see solutions done properly when they are responsible for a different step.

Enjoy!

Picture of Vicky Wisheu
Re: Linear Equations Group Activity Contribution
by Vicky Wisheu - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 4:53 PM

I can see this activity working very well with other topics, such as finding the equation of a parabola, completing the square, trig identities, etc.

Picture of Rochelle McAdam
Re: Linear Equations Group Activity Contribution
by Rochelle McAdam - Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 3:44 PM

I really liked the idea of this activity and will use it this week for Linear Relations. But I also wanted to use it for Relations & Functions review so I made the attached activity for that.