Teacher Discussion Forum for Math 30-1

Project Based Learning in Math 30-1

Picture of Scott Seland
Project Based Learning in Math 30-1
by Scott Seland - Saturday, 1 March 2014, 4:57 PM

Has anyone developed or heard of good projects for Math 30-1?  I would really appreciate any ideas.  Thanks.

Picture of Cheryl VanDusen
Re: Project Based Learning in Math 30-1
by Cheryl VanDusen - Monday, 3 March 2014, 9:05 AM

Go to the Learn Alberta site and search for the Learn Everyware resources. I am an on line teacher for Rockyview and was part of the team hired by Alberta Ed to help write the Learn Everyware on line courses. I use the math 30-1 course as part of my moodle on line course and use several of the projects in my assessment. There is a project for every module so hopefully you can find something there.

Picture of Scott Seland
by Scott Seland - Monday, 3 March 2014, 10:39 PM

Cheryl, I just had a quick look through the projects.  They look really good and I'm going to try some of them out.  Thank you!

Picture of Alzona OwenBrown
by Alzona OwenBrown - Monday, 3 March 2014, 11:44 AM

Scott:  It is really difficult timewise for me to have the students work on project and still cover all of the course requirements.

Sometimes I will take the word or application questions and generate a math lab that should take about 40-50 minutes of class or homework time.  The students are required to set up the lab results in an orderly and neat format on a separate sheet of paper.  In this way they have to explain why they arrived at the answers etc... The trig section has some great problems with the ferris wheel and the rotating tires.  You can also set up a radian measure lab with cirlces and string, its pretty neat how it works out to the radian measure.  Perms and combs have some great group work and the functional transformations and stretches make great hands on labs for my students.  Let me know if you need anything.

Alzona

Picture of Cheryl VanDusen
by Cheryl VanDusen - Monday, 3 March 2014, 12:44 PM

Alzona - where are you getting the word or application questions from? The teacher guide that does with the Pre-Calculus textbook?

Picture of Alzona OwenBrown
by Alzona OwenBrown - Monday, 3 March 2014, 11:18 PM

Some of the application questions come from the text, but some of them are from the previous math 30 pure textbook. I usually just a take a problem and then add to the number of questions that they can do from the given info. For example if it were a function, I would give them various transformations of the original and see if they can come up with the observations for vertical, horizontal stretches and then the translations. I also do a specific lab that deals just with the graphs and the reflection graphs. Then they need to come up with the ordered pairs and explain what causes the three types of reflections. This works so great with some of those students who find equation and function notation extremely abstract. It is amazing how when they can come up with the relationships with just a bit of encouragement from myself or some of the other students. I really think they gain by having to display their methods and explain their observations. I wish they were able to show some of their problem solving skills they have developed over the years on the diploma, some of the students that do the best on my math labs have a difficult time with multiple choice questions. Anyways good luck
Picture of Sandy Miller
by Sandy Miller - Monday, 3 March 2014, 4:19 PM

I have used DESMOS an online graphing tool to have students create a picture using a number of functions (with domain and range restrictions) ..it is a great site. If you would like the actual assignment and the rubric please let me know.

Also, the "mini lab" from the text book on pg. 76 (Mcgraw hill) on pendulums is a great open ended project which I have used...it ties nicely with physics 20 because they study pendulums there as well.

I think I have a small write up of that as well if you would like it.

(to name a few projects....) 

Picture of Scott Seland
by Scott Seland - Monday, 3 March 2014, 10:41 PM

Sandy, I use Desmos with the students for exploring transformations, but I haven't done it as an assignment.  I'd like to see how you set up your assignment and rubric.  Thank you.

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
by Colin Veldkamp - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 3:31 PM

Hello Sandy,

I'm interested in the DESMOS create a picture assignment.  If you could share the actual assignment and rubric with me I would love to post it on the site for everyone to use.  Just email me at colin.veldkamp@epsb.ca.  

Thank you very much!

Colin

Picture of Dan New
by Dan New - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 9:02 PM

I have something similar already assembled. Here it is. 

Picture of Colin Veldkamp
by Colin Veldkamp - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 3:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I've taken the resources shared by Sandy and Dan (Thank you!) regarding a Desmos graphing project involving transformations and put them on a Transformations - Featured Activities page.  

Hope you find the resources useful and thank you once again for the contributions.  If anyone has anything that they think would benefit other teachers and students please let me know and I can share it on the site for you!

Colin 

Picture of Lee Bannister
by Lee Bannister - Thursday, 9 March 2017, 10:08 PM

Very interesting.   I do use desmos, but at what point do you get students to do this desmos project?  are there certain units (i.e. Polys, Rations) they need first?

Picture of Mike McManus
by Mike McManus - Friday, 10 March 2017, 8:56 AM

I LOVE my desmos project I typically only give one day in class and then they work on it outside of class.

I do it right at the end of my first UNIT Function ops, Transformations, Radicals/Rationals and Poly. Students need to yuse at least 2 of each "Family of functions" Though most use substantially more.

I do mine in Mid October so I give them the Pumpkin template and then they place things in or around my template

Here are some of my favorite examples

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/vekudsf3t1

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/rzmbc9czoz

PS The student who did the dragon is VERY religious and the swastika is used is the original religious iconography NOT as a symbol of the Nazi regime...

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/3l5trqdfud

Picture of Lee Bannister
by Lee Bannister - Friday, 10 March 2017, 5:34 PM

Ok... WOW!!!  These are amazing. I did not know DESMOS can do those loops to get the wings flapping.

That does make sense that this is done after the relations and functions units.

Are students using desmos in each lesson leading up to the project so that they are more comfortable with the program?  or is it self-taught?